CPsychol, AFBPsS, MSc, BSc (Hons)
Chartered Clinical Psychologist
CBT, ACT, CFT
I am passionate about enabling people to make sense of their difficulties so they can work towards valued and meaningful changes. I will listen with empathy and without judgement to help you identify a way forward. My role starts with ensuring you feel safe and understood so you can begin to explore what challenges you.
Since qualifying in 1992 I have worked across a range of different specialities and services. I have specialist training and experience working in pain management, sexual health, neuropsychology and chronic fatigue syndrome. Whilst I have wide-ranging expertise helping individuals manage the psychological and emotional challenges that accompany chronic and physical health conditions, I am also able to help those with purely psychological difficulties. I will help you explore, understand and improve your psychological well-being.
I help people with:
- Mood difficulties (e.g. low mood, depression)
- Anxiety disorders (e.g. general or health anxiety)
- Self-esteem, role adjustment and changed relationships (e.g. due to chronic health conditions)
- Sexual functioning (e.g. difficulties with arousal, sexual satisfaction)
- Traumas (e.g. sexual assault)
- Pain management (including sexual pain conditions)
- Relationship difficulties
- Concerns about compulsive sexual behaviours. (Please be aware that I will work with these difficulties depending on levels of risk. I will discuss with you whether you might require additional or alternative supports).
Using an evidence-based approach, I draw on a range of therapeutic models, which include Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), mindfulness-based therapy approaches and an integrative approach for treating compulsive sexual behaviour. I use a person-centred style, tailoring my approach to the needs of the individual I work with.
I will work collaboratively with you to help explore how and why you struggle and enable you to understand and manage these challenges more effectively. As you learn to step back from difficulties and the distress caused you will be better able to discover new choices that can help change your life. These new perspectives will enable you to break free of repeating and unrewarding automatic behaviours and responses.
I offer some evening and weekend slots